August 2017  
SMTWTFS
  12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
     
Upcoming Events
AUG

20

SUN
Sunday Services
9:15 a.m. Sunday School for all ages
10:30 a.m. Morning Worship Service
6:00 p.m. Evening Worship Service
AUG

23

WED
Wednesday services
6:30 Corporate Prayer Meeting
6:30-8:00 Fuel Injection Youth Service (7-12 grades)
Staff meeting
9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
Bible Search
History of Fairview Baptist Church

In the spring of 1947, two residents of Grant Street in Durant, Oklahoma saw the need for a Sunday School. One of the people opened her home for Sunday School classes, however this arrangement did not prove successful. Since both of these persons were members of First Baptist Church in Durant, they asked for a mission to be started in the northwest section of the city and for First Baptist Church to be the sponsor.

The enrollment increased rapidly. By the fall of 1947 preaching services were begun. Reverend Carrell Hooper was called to be a part-time pastor of the Northwest Mission; within two months he had been called as a first-time pastor.

The First Baptist Church bought one-half block, located between 12th and Roosevelt Streets. A permanent building was constructed on the corner of Roosevelt and College. It was completed in 1949.

A council of pastors and ordained ministers was formed. The council was composed of L.L. Armstrong, Ted Ewing, Floyd Amos, Ray Allen, Harold McGlamory, Brother Brown, Ralph Mills, and Roy Womble. On July 23, 1950 the council adopted the following resolution:

Whereas, it appears that there is a real need for a Baptist Church in this locality and after prayer of Divine guidance, it is resolved by the council, the church was duly organized.

Carrell Hooper was called unanimously to be pastor of the church as long as he felt the leadership of the Lord to stay with the church. The first two deacons were R.M. Johnson and W.J. Pyrum.

The first Sunday School attendance consisted of three adults and nine children. The Uniform Associational Church letter for 1950 listed 151 church members, Sunday School enrollment of 159, and average attendance of 89. Total value of Fairview property was $6,500. The church gave ten percent of gross income to missions and benevolence.

In 1952 a two hundred, fifty seat auditorium was built. This building was debt free. Since that time Fairview has added a two story educational building, a new sanctuary, and a building containing classrooms and office space.

The pastors who have served at Fairview Baptist Church are:

  • 1947-1957 Carrell Hooper
  • 1957-1959 John Klappenbach
  • 1959-1963 E.R. Cagle
  • 1963-1964 Bill Rambo
  • 1965-1967 Wayne Nauger
  • 1967-1973 Oscar Norris
  • 1973-1975 Bob Reynolds
  • 1976-1979 Glyndle Feagin
  • 1980-1989 Rodney Cook
  • 1989-1992 Mike Taylor
  • 1993-1998 Philip Jones
  • 1998-2001 Terrell Suggs
  • 2002-2006 Darrell Edwards
  • 2006-present Bill Ledbetter